Pursuing Purpose in 2017

We are presented with unprecedented opportunities in our lives. I am lucky to live in the capital of the greatest country in the world - and despite what 2016 may have told us. This is the greatest country and it is full of beautiful people from all types of backgrounds, cultures, religions and geographic areas of the world.

Four years ago, I was giving speeches to various groups ranging from community groups, local schools and conferences. I spoke to the truths I had discovered about myself and the path of my life.

The Present

While living in Sydney, on 11/14/2012 I wrote:

"I've been thinking a lot about my time at Opportunity [International Australia], my time in Australia and essentially this point in my life. Where am I? Where have I been? Where am I going? This reflection has helped me discover some revelations about myself that I feel I have found in many of my colleagues as well. In a new country, I have re-discovered my faith: religious faith, faith in myself and faith in others. One of my first devotions* was by Rob when he returned from meeting with the Opportunity Network and he shared with us Opportunity's story, the story of the Good Samaritan, but he posed a question as well. "Why are we here? Are we here only while it's convenient?" I pondered this for a long time and this is where I found my first revelation: inconvenience. 

Everything I have ever done has been inconvenient, but the inconvenient choices I made are what ultimately make me happy." 

I often do things that are inconvenient. I move to other countries with no money. I spent 8 years working for free at 13 different organizations sustaining myself on at least two other part-time jobs until this past April. I choose to sit on a busy sidewalk sometimes and talk to a homeless person, so we can each look forward to seeing a friendly face. When I did contemporary performance art, there was a thrill in pushing the boundaries of what was considered normal. I embraced every fiber of my being and I welcomed challenges because of their inconvenience. Those same challenges forced me outside of my comfort zone. Living inconveniently is what informs my present, and breathes life into an otherwise passive existence.

The Past

In that same entry, I wrote:

"So now fast forward with me two months. Tess, Catherine and I are having lunch in Newtown. In the course of our casual conversation they call me a keener. What is a keener?? According to urban dictionary: keener is canadian slang for an individual eager to demonstrate knowledge or participate enthusiastically in school, church, seminars, etc. Like nerd, geek, brown-noser, smarty pants but with more emphasis on willingness and enthusiasm, and less on social inadequacy, sycophancy, or natural ability. This was my next revelation: perception. 

The world, those around us, our friends always perceive us differently than we perceive ourselves. They see something in us, something that we are too close to see." 

I'm always interested in objectively hearing how people perceive me because I believe it provides insight. Our past is built by perception. How people perceive us, remember us, how we perceive ourselves this is what informs our past.

The Future

If our past is determined by perception, that perception also gives insight into who we are as individuals. The challenges we accept and overcome that help frame perception all create our future. What I learned from these two things is that the future will always hold potential. Potential for us to be greater, to build new perceptions and take on new inconveniences. Our potential is infinite and the impact we leave is unforeseen, because true impact is beyond our ability to see or perceive.

In order to continue unlocking my potential, I have to continue challenging myself and finding beauty in daily inconveniences.

This year, I want to explore the 12 major religions: Taoism, Jainism, Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, Islam, Sikhism, Shinto, Confucianism and Buddhism. Every time I have taken the time to accept my spirituality and embrace it, God has a way of surprising me.



*Because Opportunity International is founded on Christian values, they have a regular / optional prayer meeting for staff called devotions. 

Comments

Popular Posts