16 months of Readjustment

Two weeks ago, I celebrated my second birthday in America since returning from Indonesia. I am at a juncture in my life where depending on who you're speaking to, I'm either too young or too old at 26. I'm far from where I thought I would be 16 months after service, but I'm also much closer to reaching my goals than I was a year ago.

When I was making plans for myself after Peace Corps, I was going to stay in the states for my family and friends. I wanted to be here to throw a surprise anniversary party for my parents, come home for my first Christmas in four years, my first Thanksgiving at home in five years, my first May Feast in six years, watch my little brother grow up, and be there for my best friend as her Maid of Honor and give her the bridal shower, dress fittings, bachelorette and everything she deserves as we spent the past year preparing for her wedding day. Being present for all of this was significant for me, after you leave there's a new found appreciation for the things you once took for granted. 

I wanted to see the people that had helped form the person I was, the pictures of friends and family who kept me company in my room for over two years. It's an overwhelming amount of emotions because you're forgotten for having left in the first place and feeling guilty for the life you left behind in another country- or at least I do. Just as I needed those pictures of my family and friends to comfort me when I was far away, I cover the same walls that surround me now with tokens of my life in Indonesia. I traded one comfort for another. 

In the same breath, I've accomplished so much more than expected. I moved back to Washington, D.C. I fell in love with H Street and made new friends that I can call family. I am part of a church community that I adore and never fails to put a smile on my face. I missed community service so I got involved with Rotary again and now serve as International Service Chair for Rotaract DC. I have the strongest bonds with other RPCVs and I'm grateful to have them in my life. I work at National Peace Corps Association and have the privilege to be part of a dynamic team that serves an immensely diverse and extraordinary community of individuals. 

I thought I wouldn't travel as much once I returned but in the past 16 months, I've traveled to New York (frequently), Maine, Florida (3 times), South Carolina, Massachusetts, Colorado, California, Indiana, Italy and Sri Lanka. Throughout the past 16 months, I've grown so much as an individual, building upon my life lessons from Peace Corps. I take myself a little less seriously. I accept life's path as it comes in all of its fluidity. I drive on the right side, but walk on the left side. I take my hand back to my heart when shaking hands. I opened myself to love and am all the better and happier for it. I bounce back faster and do more than move forward, I find solutions. I am more willing to make mistakes because I know that's the best way to learn. The more I've grown to trust and accept myself, the more genuine encounters I have.

I'm beginning to realize that instead of thinking about where I would like to be, I'm learning to appreciate the current circumstances of my life. The people who surround me now and the life I lead because this is where I'm supposed to be now. 

Comments

Popular Posts