The Things I Will Miss

In no specific order, here are some of the things I will come to miss about my life in Indonesia:

1. Call to Prayer
Yes, hard to believe but I think I will miss the Call to Prayer. There’s something about hearing the call to prayer that reminds me of how ever present God is in our everyday lives and Indonesians specifically and their commitment to their praying 5 times a day. It’s also brings to light for me how Islam in Java is just as much about the community aspect as it is individual commitment. It doesn’t hurt to start one’s day as early as 4am. (Even though I still sleep in until 6am J )

2. Indonesian Hospitality
I’m going to miss free everything. I’m going to miss my Bibi cutting 2 kilos of bananas off the trees on her property for me. I’m going to miss my Mimi next door, giving me nasi kuning in the morning to make sure I eat breakfast. I’m going to miss my counterpart spoiling me with surprise cookies and cakes from the korporasi because they are my favorite. I’m going to miss that I can get a free tune-up for my bicycle simply because I’m friends with the guys that work there. I’m going to miss free photocopies for my 40 les kids. I’m going to miss getting free nasi lengko and mie at the canteen. I’m going to miss Bu Kapsa offering me free mie ayam everyday even though she knows I won’t eat it. I’m going to miss Ori giving me free rizol and gorengan whenever we hang out at his stand. I’m going to miss free meals just because today there was another 5 hour meeting. I’m going to miss free rides in and out of Cikedung to the main road with the toko material truck. I’m going to miss free water during my runs. Seriously, the most hospitable people I have ever met exist in this country.

3. Indonesian Food
As much as I miss American food and diversity in my diet, I’m definitely going to have a hole where I used to fill with Indonesian food. I’m going to miss tempeh, vegetables galore, avocados in bulk, Indramayu mangos, 20 different kinds of bananas, papayas, batagor siomay, martabak manis, nasi goreng, nasi lengko, nasi kuning, nasi uduk, all of the sambal, every kripik especially banana chips, sate, sop iga/buntut, mie goreng, ayam goreng, rizol, tahu crispy, ikan bakar, ayam bakar, es kelapa, jus, kopi. 

4. Rubber Time
As frustrating as rubber time was when I first got here, I thank the Lord for it on those mornings when I just need those extra 10 minutes of sleep. If you oversleep, there’s no one rushing you, yes its better if you’re on time but no one will be upset with you for showing up late. I definitely learned to just let my CPs work on their own schedules, not every battle could be won.

5. Istirahat
In America, especially those of us in big cities are always so go, go, go. In Indonesia, I am still on the go, I guess some things were more difficult to weed out of this city girl but there’s a beauty in that everyone acknowledges the need to take care of yourself first. It’s so rare that we are encouraged to take a break, a daily nap or a day off. It was nice to have people encouraging me to take a break that everything will get done when it needs to get done.

6. Salam
When Indonesians shake hands, they will bring it back to their hearts. This is something I will miss and something I will keep with me in life as I leave this place.

7. Smiling Indonesians
I’m going to miss the small town feel that exists almost everywhere in Indonesia. Smiling at someone is a way of showing that we acknowledge them and value their presence, depending on the genuine intentions of the individual and when we smile back at someone it’s mutual understanding of our humanity.

8. Everyone Knows Me
I will miss Indramayu, my village and the areas that I frequent. I will miss hearing neighbors, friends and children call my name. I will miss not having to explain my background anymore and having that familiarity that everyone knows my story and explains it without my having to defend myself. I will miss the solidarity and kinship I feel with my community members.

9. Simplicity
My life in Indonesia has been so simple yet so satisfying. I will miss having that simplicity in day to day activities and peace of mind. Something I hope to take back with me is keeping that simplicity in my own lifestyle while still adjusting to my transition to America.

10. Weather
Although many complain of the heat including Indonesians in my village. I will miss only having two seasons and having all year round summer weather. I will miss sweating through all my clothes and the detoxifying feeling it gives including 2 cold bucket baths a day.

11. Indramayu Javanese
I am going to miss hearing the local dialect of my area. It is specific only to my area and whenever I hear it or use it I am reminded of the love I have for my community and all the people in it. Most of all, I will missing using Indramayuisms and having people understand and laugh at my usage. 

Comments

Popular Posts